I tried kale pesto once and fell in love – it was delicious and I really wanted to make it at home. I have tried to make basil pesto before and while it is always tasty, it’s also always very expensive – basil is at a premium and while kale is the superfood it is nowhere near as expensive. So when I found I had enough kale at home I made some pesto.
If you want to make this my biggest advice has to be to be to take the recipe as weak guidelines – add more or less of things as you see fit, after all it’s all about the taste (‘bout that taste, ‘bout that taste)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 70g peanuts/almonds/pinenuts/any nut
- 100g kale
- Juice of 2 limes or lemons
- 12 tbsps of olive oil
- Half a glass of cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you have whole nuts, toast them slightly in a dry pan until golden brown. If the nuts are already blitzed then don’t worry about this.
- Rinse and finely chop the kale.
- Blitz the nuts in a food processor.
- Add the kale, garlic, olive oil, lime/lemon juice, and salt into the food processor.
- Blitz everything until all the ingredients have come together. When I made it the texture was a little too hard at this point so I added some of the water and kept adding until the pesto had the consistence I wanted.
- Taste – add more garlic, lemon/lime juice, salt, pepper if you like.
And that’s it! It’s a delicious kale pesto which really doesn’t take much time at all to make and tastes heavenly.