This Christmas I fully embraced the festive spirit! Firstly there was the homemade vegan mince pies and now there are these mincemeat crumble bars. I don’t wait until Christmas to make these crumble bars, but they do taste a little more festive in December! As with the mince pies, this is a very simple and quick recipe. It is suitable for vegans and ridiculously delicious.
Let me know if you make these crumble bars!
3/4 cup wholemeal flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed
- Mix all the ingredients for the mincemeat together except the brandy in a large pan. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, then stir in the brandy.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with grease proof paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, orange zest, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Pour in the coconut oil and mix to blend well. Reserve 3/4 cup of oat mixture for the topping.
- Transfer the remaining oat mixture to the prepared baking dish, pressing firmly to the bottom to form an even layer.
- Spoon the mincemeat in an even layer on top and then sprinkle with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the dish on a wire rack for 30 to 40 minutes before cutting into bars.