Over the weekend I found myself at home, hungry, with a bag of kale and not much else. I wanted something delicious to eat. Usually I reach for the spinach – it is a my go-to green food – but as I said, I had kale and the desire to do something with it. After a little rummaging I ended up with mushroom, peanuts, and garlic. I could see the beginning of a warm salad forming and couldn’t wait to start cooking.
- A bag of kale
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- A handful of peanuts
- 1 punnet of mushrooms, chopped. I used chestnut but you can use whatever you like
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil
- Heat a large pan with olive oil.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir so that the oil coats them all.
- Add the garlic and peanuts. Give it another stir.
- Add the kale, stir and place the lid. Leave for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the lid and check the consistency of the kale. I like my kale properly wilted so it’s lovely and soft to eat.
- Once the kale is the level of crunchiness you like, remove from the heat
- Plate up, add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
This is a really delicious salad. While the cunchiness of the kale is wilted away, the peanuts still retain theirs and makes a wonderful contrast of textures and flavours. If you give this a try, please let me know! I wonder how it would taste with a tahini and mustard dressing??